Thursday, August 19, 2010

Coming Along

2 weeks ago I had surgery. As a result of 4 big babies, being over weight most of my adult life and menopause my uterus, bladder and rectum was trying to fall out. Not that it was painful, but it was very uncomfortable among other things that I won't discuss due to being a bit of too much information.

At one point last year at a yearly female check up the RPN said I wouldn't be given a medal for not having it fixed, only the timing would not be good. I was still on my mission and the recuperation period would be long and take me away from my work, and I said it was not painful.

Last Sept I had a hysterectomy, that should have taken care of the problem, well it did part of it. The uterus was no longer trying to fall out. My Dr additionally put a few stitches in to try and resolve the other issues. My recovery from that surgery was easy. Apparently too easy, almost no pain and ready to get back to work. I was painting the fence a week latter and so on.

A few months latter my symptoms reappeared. I can say I was in denial, I worked hard on kegals and finally in May went back to my gyn. Hoping she would fix it pro bono....only to have her say this was beyond her abilities. She promptly referred me to a uro-gyn in Dallas. One of the only ones in the general area. Kelly thought it take me months to get in with her, but to my amazement I had an appointment the next week, Which was lucky since Dr. Corton is a well know expert in this type of treatment. It was decided a new surgery would probably be in order. This time decide if I wanted a laproscopic procedure or large incision and if I wanted my ovaries removed. The pros and cons, the lap would be long about 6 hours, but recovery would be much faster than an open incision. I chose to have the lap, I figured I would be sleeping and not aware of the time and want to back to a somewhat normal life asap. Absolutely no lifting for 3 months, this means nothing over the weight of a gallon of milk....even my little dog weighs twice that.

I scheduled the surgery for a week after we returned from our month long vacation. I kept telling myself it would not be as easy as my procedure last year, so I was some what prepared. At my pre-checkup I remembered I was at a teaching hospital, UTA, so started the stream of several new drs and medical students. Luckily with the exception of one, they all just asked questions, not looking while I was awake anyway. Kelly said Larry & herself counted about 15 dr coming in to participate. I guess the procedure was not all that common and many wanted to learn...again I was not awake and if it helps science it was OK.

Kelly came to keep Larry company during the surgery, since it was going to be long and Larry would probably go crazy during the wait. And it turned out to be a good thing, the surgery actually turned out to be 7 hours, and they quit reporting after 4hrs. When I sort of woke up, I was nauseous and in pain, but nursing staff quickly took care of that. After an hour or 2, Larry & Kelly went home. I obviously didn't need company, I just wanted to sleep.

The pain wasn't terrible, as long as I didn't move. Moving was another thing though. Surgery was on Friday, I went home Sunday morning. I lived in the recliner most of the next 3 days and keeping track of when I could take the next pain pill. But by Thursday I had my stitches removed and was able to move better and more pain free. Every day has been better, sisters from church brought dinner for several days, Larry has been caring and helpful. Hunter has come by to help too, although she is trying to work off money we loaned her, her help was appreciated none the less.

I'm down to a pain pill or 2 a day now, my sleeping patterns are disturbed, but I took Festina for a walk around the block today. I'm trying to keep busy, but not do too much either. I really want this to work, I don't want to have more medical bills.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Kim, It doesn't sound fun at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were there to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like you are having fun - NOT! Good luck with your recovery. Old age is the pits and we are just getting started!

    ReplyDelete