Friday, February 11, 2011

Super Bowl 2011

Before we all left California, my family would get together for Super Bowl. Some of us really aren't big football fans, but we would all get together. Great food, pick teams to root for, and family fun time. When my mom moved, so the Super Bowl family parties weren't the same or did not happen at all. A few years ago all of us Texans went to Georgia for the BIG Party. Larry & I have returned a couple of times since then. So I decided after Christmas we would go this year. I was talking to my father shortly after the decision, and they had decided to go visit Mom in Georgia for his 80th birthday.

My brother & his family share the house and they have 1 guest room, we decided we needed to bring our 5th wheel so we could have a room with a bed. (My mom offered her bed, and would sleep on the couch, but who would have their mom sleep on the couch)

Mississippi
Well anyone reading about Dallas & the Super Bowl, know we were hit with a big Ice storm & sub freezing weather. It hit the day before we were scheduled to leave. The trailer was in front waiting for the trip, tires in 2 inches of ice. We took a short trip to check out the route about noon, could we get to the freeway??? About half a mile was thick ice and then 2 tracks in 1 freeway lane. We decided we needed to try, we left at 1:30 pm. It took twice the time to get out of Dallas, the roads were better but the temperature was in the 20's. We made it to Vicksburg Miss about 10:30. Boy was out portable room cold...30 degrees. The next morning we left with the news of a big ice storm coming in. I can say we made it safely, but it was a very nerve racking trip, icy rain & sleet until the last 60 miles. Remember we were pulling a 30' 5th wheel.
We went to the Georgia Aquarium one day with my sister. This is the nicest (my opinion) & officially (Guiness world records) the largest in the country. I highly recommend it if your in the area.
My entire family has not been together in over 10 years. It was important for us to go. If my father wasn't coming we would have put off the trip until better weather. We took pictures of all of us with him. On sunday, all of my sister's kids came over to celebrate the Big Game & the big 80.
My father's health has been declining over the years since we moved to Texas. He had a blood clot & pulmonary embolism, in 2003, chronic pain (from days of playing hard & being hurt) falling has become the most recent thing. A year ago he fell and broke 3 ribs, black eye & so on. I didn't think he would be around now. Anyway he's still here & came to Georgia. ( He fell there too.) We all had fun, of course good food, a little sightseeing & about froze to death. It snowed the night before we came home. But luckily the roads were good. It doubtful we will all be together (in this life) again.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you finally updates your blog! Glad you were able to make it to Georgia safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you braved the horrible driving conditions and made it to all be together again. Some more wonderful memories were made, I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see pictures. It has been so long since I have seen your family. I can't believe your dad is 80. He doesn't look it.

    ReplyDelete